Friday, January 1, 2010

Symbolic

The picture in my blog is from El Matador Beach in California. I've been there a couple of times- this last picture was taken on Independence Day. 2009.
I was staring at it, thinking it was quite symbolic for a few reasons.
First, I think the ocean has always contained the whisper of my soul. I was born near the ocean, Santa Monica- and I always feel at home there- as tumultuous and windy and wild and beautiful as it is- the ocean holds my key.
I love the rocks, I love the mountains.
So, in this picture is a very tall cliff. It represents the journey I am on, and the high wall I have to climb. In this picture, you'll notice there are some tangles of algae and seaweed, they are the everyday things I have to step over- and try not to step in. Those messes are both out in the open and hiding, I'll have to work hard not to tangle myself in my own mess and that of other people- and of course the rise and fall of the ocean itself. It both breathes and renews as well as takes from me.
The ocean is a powerful force. It makes me strong and can sap my strength away. The beach is my solace- my peace. The sun, shining down on me, illuminating me and giving me hope.
In all that I see are life saving and life endangering, to not take the risks that life has given, unthinkable for me. The ocean is a gift. My soul is inspired.

1 comment:

Contra Yogini said...

...and of course the rise and fall of the ocean itself. It both breathes and renews as well as takes from me.

Gorgeous, GORGEOUS writing!!

Thank you, too, for explaining your photo. I think about it every time I visit your site...